Jun 18, 2009

Wenceslas and the Like

I really need to keep updating this like every day, because otherwise my posts just get way too long and boring! So I apologize to everyone.  Once again, I have been mad busy, so I will try to cram as much as I can in here.

Last week we had a walking tour of Wenceslas Square, which is pretty much the main square in Prague.  This is the place where the people would gather for protests and things like that.  The buildings and the monuments here have yet to bore me, because the architecture here is so historical and diverse.  Anyway, we started at the top of the square near the Muzeum building, where we learned about the Prague Spring of 1968 when Prague was invaded by Russians, and the Velvet Revolution during which communism was peacefully overthrown.  It was an amazing experience and it just made me realize how little our country has been through in comparison.

Muzeum and the Wenceslas Monument

Memorial to 2 students who burned themselves in protest of the Russian Occupation. Crazy stuff.

The guy who did this is the same one who did the babies on the tower.  I've concluded he's basically the king of random.
Yummiest Garlic Soup I have ever had.

Later, the group decided to go on an exploring adventure to the other side of town.  We walked for-e-ver, got plenty lost, and ran into several dead ends.  We would get to the bridge we needed to cross, and it was closed, we would climb down a steep deadly hill, and there was a 12 foot drop at the end. It was great fun.  By the time we got to the monument, everyone was exhausted and cranky and hungry, so only 4 people made the final hike to the top of the hill.  The rest of us, however, went to this cool military museum for free! It was really interesting because they had all these documents signed by Hitler, Stalin, Moussolini (sp?), and more.  

Small Jewish Cemetery along the way

Cool Graffiti

Military Museum

Dirt road we got lost on, Czech Flag in the background

I know I am awful at updating this instantly! I need to be on it, because it just becomes more of a hassle the longer I wait! I appreciate the love and support and prayers from everyone! I love you all and there is more to come!

Peace and Love,
Harley Kat

No comments: