Jun 6, 2009

Can Life Get Any Better?

I submit that it Cannot!  First of all, let me just say that this place is undeniably, breathtakingly, stunningly BEAUTIFUL.  How is it possible for such raw awesomeness to even exist? Every corner I turn, I literally gasp. 

That being said, let's go chronologically (because that's what I do), starting with my flight.  There were 4 people on the entire plane that were a part of our excursion (to Prague), and I ended up sitting right next to one of them. He seems like a cool dude, too, so that's a bonus.  There was also another boy from Phoenix on the other side of him, and he was pretty chill as well. It seems the curse of always sitting next to smelly old pervs has been broken! Knock on wood... Anywho, so after an extremely uncomfortable 10 hour flight, we arrived at Heathrow. This airport is intimidating at first, but I had 5 hours to get the hang of it, and it's really just a huge mall that happens to be a take-off/landing place for planes.  I was hoping to finally get to sleep there, but, once again, no such luck. 

Requisite "Plane Above Clouds" Photo

Me attempting to illustrate how cramped I was

The awesome TV that was in my face the entire time.  This little guy is really cool, you can watch new releases, TV shows, listen to music, and there's a map that tells you how far you are in your journey.  It was pretty much the only thing that kept me sane.

This may look like just another city, but this, my friends, is London. 

So 5 hours after landing at Heathrow, we take off to Prague, and on this flight, I sat next to a very grumpy Bulgarian fellow who kept jabbing me with his elbow (which I suspect was on purpose. But why? I am a nice, fun girl. I do not deserve such treatment, especially from a stranger... But I digress), and I managed to get about 10 minutes total of sleep. So that's good, I suppose.  When we landed in Prague, my stomach was all a flutter with excitement because it meant it was finally REAL, and it's weird that it took so long for me to actually get that. The airport in Prague is super, super easy and efficient, which was totally nice.  We got off the plane, waited for our bags, went through customs (2 guards reading a newspaper on stools by the exit), and waited for our ride to the dorms.  Finally, after some minor confusion, the taxi/van driver loaded us into the car, and literally SPED off into the night. Not unlike a mad man. When we started driving, I felt really confused, like something was familiar, and I realized that its because we were driving on the right side of the road and the steering wheel was on the right side, too. Even though we had only rode on the bus in London for like 10 mins, I just got the idea in my head that all of Europe was like that...once again, I digress. One horrible case of whiplash and 30 mins later, we were staring our dorms right in the eye.

Prague Airport

Taxi of Death, Next Stop: Hell.

We got checked in and got our keys and everything, and then we went to our rooms, and mine is on the top floor (of 5, thankfully there is an elevator because even though it doesn't seem like a lot, I walked up today, and immediately regretted it).  My apartment/dorm has UH-MAZE-ING views. We're talking being blinded by beauty at every turn.  My roomie was already here and also asleep, so I had to get ready for bed really quiet like.  Throughout the entire voyage over here, I had been telling myself that I would be able to sleep in a bed once I got there, and I was going to sleep like a boulder.  Yeahhh... psych. I was tossing and turning all night. But I'm sure you wanted to know all about that. 

Really rad church and a tower built by the communists to block the Radio Free Europe signal

Prague Castle in the distance
Close-up of the tower. Those are babies. Here's the story: Everyone in Prague considers this their biggest eyesore, so this artist was commissioned to do "something special" with it. This is what he produced. If you're like me, you are now thinking this "Why babies?" There is no logic, it just looks like ant children are taking over the tower. I also want to point out that my camera was not in B&W mode. It was this overcast all day, and it was refreshing.

Well, thats the introduction to my life in Prague! I'm heading out to do some more fun stuff, and I will post all about that later. 

Peace and Love,
Harley Kat

4 comments:

Stu and Angie Milne said...

wow, what a fun adventure! i'll admit, i'm a bit jealous.. are you staying around prague or do you get to go all over europe?

Autumn Fauver said...

Wow the baby's on the tower made me laugh its so wierd! Well anyway It seems like you are having a fun trip so far and the place seems very interesting and pretty!

Rachel Lynn Butler said...

love everything about your blog!! laughed aloud about the caption under the bus, wish i was doing it with you!

KaSs MiLeS said...

so so cool!!